Home » Drumming Skills
Disclosure: Sometimes I may receive a small commission on products sold through this site. Click here for more info. Thanks!
Learning drums is not an easy, especially if you're completely new to it. Drums are a complex instrument and require a lot of patience and dedication. In order to learn and practice them effectively you need to start with the basics.
If you're just starting out, it's really important to have good instructions (see here). It's not just how much you practice, but how you practice. It's crucial to do things correctly from the very start. Understanding the basics and knowing the right way to practice will quickly and drastically improve your drumming.
Essential SkillsThe following are the essential skills that every drummer should know and master:
Holding drumsticks - this is one of the most important parts of drumming, yet oftentimes overlooked. There are specific ways to hold drumsticks. If you learn this early on, you will be much more effective. Using improper technique of holding your sticks can actually do damage to your hands or wrists. For more info, click here.
- Correct Posture - posture will affect how you play and sound. The key to correct posture is to sit up straight and at the right height. Also try to relax your hands, arms and wrists. The correct posture helps you perform better and also reduces the risk of injury and tension. Just remember, no slouching.
- How to count time - counting time is a must for any drummer. This is basically the drummer's primary job - to be able to count and stay in time. Understanding time signatures is crucial and is what separates the men from the boys. It must be taken seriously. If you cannot count time, how will you stay on time with your beats?
- Tuning drums - it's a sad fact that many drummers never take the time to learn how to tune their drums. It's not really that hard. Well tuned drums will make you sound and play better. More on tuning here.
- Reading music – learning how to read music will bring you to a whole new level of drumming and help you become a better musician all the way around. It will give you the ability to learn more quickly and make you a better player. Well worth the investment of your time. This is a good starting point.
These are the basics. Be sure to really understand them before moving on to more advanced stuff. If you need help, take a look at - Learn & Master Drums course.
- Choosing The Best Drum Lessons For Beginners
There is a right way and a wrong way to learn drums. If you don't want your drumming journey to be filled with frustration and disappointment, be prepared. Choose quality drum lessons and stick to them. This will save you a lot of time and aggravation...read more »
- The Importance of Warm Up and Stretching Exercises
Drumming is physically very demanding. Without the proper warm up and stretching exercises, one might find themselves with a serious injury, or even worse, a bad practice session or performance. Learn about the warm up and stretching exercises...read more »
- Learn And Master Drums with Dann Sherrill
What is the most effective way of learning to play drums? In my opinion, DVD courses are a great way to start. But there are so many, which one to choose? You definitely can't go wrong with Learn & Master Drums. Find out why...read more »